[Marketing] Application for Linuxtag 2011

Raffael Reichelt raffael.reichelt at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 30 12:02:24 EST 2011

Hello everybody!

I am about to compile the information for Linuxtag 2011 participation.
May I ask someone to provide the missing informations. For the
description I served myself from sugarlabs website - hope this is O.K.
German translation will be done by me. Comments or suggestions - and
of course the missing informations -  are welcome!
Raffael

Linuxtag 2011 Application:

General Information

Project Title: Sugar

Category: Education

Project URL: http://www.sugarlabs.org

Project Description

This description is used by the project committee to get an overall
overview about the project. If the project get accepted this
descriptions will be published on the official website and the
LinuxTag-Journal.

English (short): The Sugar Learning Platform is a computer environment
composed of Activities designed to help children from 5 to 12 years of
age learn together through rich-media expression.

English: The Sugar Learning Platform is a computer environment
composed of Activities designed to help children from 5 to 12 years of
age learn together through rich-media expression.The Sugar Learning
Platform is a computer environment composed of Activities designed to
help children from 5 to 12 years of age learn together through
rich-media expression. Sugar is the core component of a worldwide
effort to provide every child with the opportunity for a quality
education—it is currently used by nearly one-million children
worldwide speaking 25 languages in over 40 countries. Sugar provides
the means to help people lead fulfilling lives through access to a
quality education that is currently missed by so many.

Originally developed for the revolutionary One Laptop per Child XO-1
netbook, Sugar can run on almost any PC, including small netbooks,
older and donated machines, and new energy efficient computers with
limited processing power. Sugar is now packaged as part of most major
GNU/Linux distributions and is compatible with recent Macs using
virtualization. A liveCD which does not touch the existing hard disk
installation is available; a liveUSB stick which can run on most PCs
is under active development.

Sugar sets aside the traditional “office-desktop” metaphor and,
through its Activities, engages even the youngest learners in the use
of computation as a powerful “thing to think with.” They quickly
become proficient in using the computer as a tool to engage in
authentic problem-solving. Moreover, most Sugar Activities can be
shared by learners between machines—children learn as a group, not as
a collection of individual users. Sugar users develop skills that help
them in all aspects of life.

Sugar Labs, a volunteer-driven, non-profit organization, is a member
project of the Software Freedom Conservancy. The mission of Sugar Labs
is to support the Sugar community of users and developers and
establish regional, autonomous “Sugar Labs” around the world to help
children “learn how to learn” by tailoring Sugar to local languages
and curricula.

German (short): Translation to be done. See english text above.

German:

Translation to be done. See english text above.

Project Community

Development Process

We would like to know how some basics about your development process.

URL to Source-Repository: http://git.sugarlabs.org

Developer's Planet, Newssite, Blog: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org

External upstream uploads accepted? I do not know. May I ask someone
to provide me this information?

Developer Community Size

To get a feeling about the number of contributers to your project,
please give us the following numbers.

(Europe including Germany, World including Europe).

Germany:

I do not know. May I ask someone to provide me this information?

Europe:

I do not know. May I ask someone to provide me this information?

Worldwide:

I do not know. May I ask someone to provide me this information?

Additionally, we would like to know how many of your contributors are
employed within one company.

If there are several companies envolved, just give the biggest number.

Developers employed by single company:

I do not know. May I ask someone to provide me this information?

Supporting Institution

I do not know. May I ask someone to provide me this information?

Name:

Address:

Email:

Exhibtion at Linuxtag

Last year's participation

Did you participate at last year's LinuxTag? Yes.

Feedback on booth size and equipment: Fine, little bit too small for
sugar classroom demonstration.

Feedback on booth location: Fine. Booth sharing with Skolelinux, OLPC
Deutschland and etoys works for us.

Presentation

Highlights:

Merchandising:

Partner Project(s): OLPC

Booth

Wanted size:  20 m²

Number of Staff: 3 to 5 (Total amount of booth personnel for whole LinuxTag.)

Equipment:

Advantages for other exhibitors:

Required special booth equipment:

(e.g.

heavy current power supply,

satellite dish)

Public Relations

Press Contact

Name:

I do not know. May I ask someone to provide me this information?

Address:

Email:

News during LinuxTag

Are there any releases or special announcements, which can be made
during LinuxTag? What would this be and which support is needed from
LinuxTag to make this announcement?

News: FInal Relase V5?