[Marketing] SL_PR_20110415_draft (marketing at lists.sugarlabs.org)

John Tierney jtis4stx at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 00:12:32 EDT 2011

 Hi Sean,
My suggestions are below indicated by the red type,I think overall it hits the mark-Best! John Tierney

Sugar
Labs (R), software provider to the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)
project, will sponsor the Slipstream Sports LLC Continental racing
team in a groundbreaking arrangement which will see funds raised over
the team’s budget support the nonprofits educational mission. In
addition, Slipstream will raise awareness for Sugar Labs at races
around the world
by
placing the Sugar Labs logo
on
the Chipotle Development Teams jersey.

“The
 Slipstream Sports youth cycling team has grown out of the company's
founding goals of fostering young talent and developing the next
generation of cycling champions. Every kid loves a bike race and young
cyclists provide great role models for children,” said Jonathan
Vaughters, CEO of Slipstream Sports. “Moreover, cycling offers a great
opportunity for young learners to study geography, science, and
technology. We want to make a difference in the lives of young athletes
and children and our innovative sponsorship arrangement with Sugar Labs
is part of that.”

The
 team will race over the next ten days in the 68th Vuelta Ciclista del
Uruguay 2011 and pupils there will participate, taking photos and
writing articles with their green XO laptops as the race passes through
their towns and e-mailing them to concurso at rapceibal.info
 for posting to a blog (http://www.sugarlabs.org/vueltaciclista). The
best articles will win prizes to be awarded at the eduJAM! Developers Summit which will take place in Montevideo from May 5–7
(http://ceibaljam.org).

“Sports
 and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) have a
great synergy. We are excited by the prospect of engaging children in
learning math and science through their excitement about the race”, said
 Walter Bender, founder and Executive Director of Sugar Labs.

Uruguay
 is the first country in the world to provide 100% of its elementary
school pupils and teachers - over half a million - with an OLPC XO
laptop running Sugar orchestrated through Plan Ceibal (http://www.ceibal.edu.uy).
 The program is being extended to older students with the blue XO-1.5 HS
 laptop.

According
 to Gabriel Eirea of CeibalJAM!, “This race is, after football, the most
 popular sports event in the country and is an integral part of our
local culture. Every year during Holy Week this race passes through many
 of the remotest towns of the country and is followed by hundreds of
thousands of enthusiastic viewers. The volunteer community supporting
Plan Ceibal implementation, represented by RAP Ceibal and ceibalJAM!,
wants to promote the use of XO laptops beyond the schools, inside the
communities, advocating technology appropriation. With the Sugar
platform and the XO laptop, our children don’t just consume content,
they create it. During the race, children throughout the country will be
 blogging about the team. At eduJAM!, developers of the Sugar platform
will meet children who are
at the center of their mission and benefit from their work.”