[Marketing] [SoaS] [MARKETING] Get Sugar landing page

pbrobinson at gmail.com pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 17:06:16 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM, pbrobinson at gmail.com
> <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Do we have a robust direct boot option? I thought that was still
>>> causing more headaches than it was worth (from the support
>>> perspective).
>>
>> 64 bit yes, and the other graphics issues will be fixed by Fedora 14
>> beta (if they're not already).
>
> Where are the instructions for the 64-bit version? The only
> instructions I can find
> (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Mac) refer to a helper
> CD.

Not sure about the wiki but they're here:

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/#downloads

There are two problems with the Mac platform:
1) Linux doesn't support 32 bit platforms from 64 bit EFI systems.
This is a kernel issue and is the case on all platforms. Someone I
know at one of the major server companies was going to have a look at
this for me as all their new servers will be 64 bit and are EFI based
and while they will only support 64 bit on them they have customers
that will want to run 32 bit. I've followed up but not heard anything
back.

2) Graphics support due to some random way the Mac platform deals with
its GPU initialisation. This will be fixed for F-14 (and so SoaSv4).
The patches might also fix #1 but I don't have Macs to test.

# 2 should be in the F-14 beta so testers would be welcome on 64 bit
and it would be interesting to see if it also fixes #1 as well.

Regards,
Peter