[Marketing] Soft release - Sugar Labs swag available - contributions welcome

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Thu Oct 28 15:05:10 EDT 2010

Hi Walter,

This makes a lot of sense. It's something that I've argued for, but have
failed to gain significant traction.[1]

Legally, we don't even need to incorporate. An unincorporated society has a
legal status here. However, property can only be owned jointly by its
members, similar to how things work with trusts.

We'll face difficulties, because most forms of legal ownership require an
AGM - which is hard for a distributed group. I can check whether
teleconferences/IRC counts. My personal preference is to create a company
that has a charitable constitution, e.g. its directors are not entitled to
personal gain and its distributions need to be for beneficiaries. Why not a
trust? That would involve paying for a trustee. Also, NZ's Sugar Labs
members tend to do a lot of trading. Where trading means advising schools,
parents etc. My guess is that if they make a purchase decision after that
advice, is probably classed as trading in a legalistic sense.

I think it may be best to postpone this until Dec when my plate will be a
little clearer.

Tim

[1] http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-nz/2010-July/000707.html