[Marketing] SoaS Fedora Spin webpage

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Wed May 5 00:15:00 EDT 2010

Since SoaS is now a Fedora Spin, we also get a shiny Fedora Spin
webpage, courtesy of the Fedora Marketing, Design, and Websites teams:
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/

Not all the wiki/other links pointed-to from this spin page are fully
built up (for instance, our openhatch link needs more work), but there's
time to do that before the release date of 5/18, and we needed to get
this specific website itself up today (Fedora's freeze date).

Thanks to Sean Daly for graciously stepping in with last-minute patches
to the content on very short notice! You can see Sean's changes here:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=fedora-web.git;a=commitdiff;h=5812da649b6c132b43b51b72f09c56dff236076b

There were two changes requested that I did /not/ make, and wanted to
note here for transparency (and also pushback, so that people can tell
me if they think I'm wrong in doing so. :)

* I left the age range from grades K-8 (requested: K-6) because of
positive feedback from middle school teachers, and also because of the
project's history of targeting a broader range
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Our_market#Child_is_a_nebulous_term.3B_what_is_the_exact_age_range_you_are_targeting.3F).

* I love this paragraph, but I haven't seen tests run with Sugar on a
Stick and the XS - and until we have that, I'm hesitant to put that in:
"In a classroom setting, this automatic saving to each pupil's stick can
also be backed up to a school server, solving any lost stick problems.
The XS School Server (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/School_server), also
based on Fedora, can provide content distribution, homework collection,
Moodle integration (http://docs.moodle.org/en/OLPC_XS_installation), and
filtered access to the Internet."

You may also notice that the webpage does not contain the SL logo,
because we generally do not use trademarks in our Fedora Spin webpages,
since everything we put out needs to be freely redistributable and we
don't want to dilute anyone's mark. Instead, it features a banner
created by Melanie Kim, adapted from a banner by Mo Duffy made with
artwork by Maria Leandro, all contributors from Fedora Design.

In general, enjoy the shiny and please shoot comments and feedback and
such this-a-way. ;)

--Mel (wearing my Fedora Marketing hat in this email as well as my Sugar
Labs one)