[Marketing] [IAEP] The Observer article on OLPC in Rwanda

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 09:22:53 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/mar/28/rwanda-laptop-revolution
>>
>> A well-written article which effectively communicates OLPC's goals in
>> the context of Rwanda's troubled recent hostory. 4-page spread in the
>> print version.
>>
>> However, as is unfortunately often the case with OLPC-F sources, Sugar
>> is given short shrift. Software is mentioned in the print version
>> tech-specs sidebar as "Linux-based", and referred to elsewhere as
>> being "too slow"; and Windows will be available in future, the
>> implication being that would correct something. The writer says: "The
>> desktop appears as an unfamiliar cartwheel of programmes represented
>> by child-friendly icons", but there's no exploration of Activities, or
>> what the kids are doing - clearly, the unfamiliarity barrier played a
>> role here, and the absence of the boot logo means the "system" is
>> unnamed.
>
> It would be interesting to see where they got the XO from and if the
> person/organisation sat down with the reporter and gave them an
> overview at all.

The interview was with David Cavallo, who has been with the project
since 2006. Presumably he knows how to use the laptop/Sugar.

What I found encouraging in the article was: "Afterwards a few sit
down and let me see what they have been working on. There are projects
about the space shuttle with downloaded pictures of a launch, simple
animations and slide shows. Impressive graphics too, given how little
experience they have had using the machines." They are engaged in
project-based learning--Cavallo's influence no doubt--and the Sugar
affordances are meeting their needs.

-walter

> Peter

Walter Bender