[Marketing] [IAEP] SoaS change of direction: heads-up on convos in other lists

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 04:10:57 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> the real intention is
>>> "this is where you start"
>>
>> But... what's the target user for a "this is where you start"? Someone
>> who can make their own spin... there's only very few of those target
>> users, and they can help themselves (IOWs if there isn't a SoaS,
>> they'll yum install sugar-*, set gdm to autologin and they'll be ok).
>> Not many of those users are close to a school.
>
> Sebastian, SoaS'ers,
>
> I am aware that here everyone-but-the-ones-that-build-it are talking
> about SoaS. Personally, I am thankful for the work you do... I have
> also been using SoaS recently as a "starting point" for a SoaS
> matching OLPC builds and that was tremendously useful. Thanks!
>
> I'd reword what I wrote earlier to say: there is a huge need for
> something like SoaS that focusses mainly on being in the hands of
> teachers (and may be useful for testers and developers like me). From
> the outside, it seems there's nobody in better position to do it than
> you.

So what do you see that we are missing to be able to do that?

There's been comments about making it easier for teachers to use but
the problem we have is that if they can't use a couple of tools to get
the .iso image onto a usb key or find someone to help them do that
we're screwed. The fact of the matter is to use the live image you
need a certain level of technical skill. The only way I see of getting
around that is shipping it on hardware where they just have to turn on
the switch. If you go to virtualisation that becomes even harder from
a technical perspective. If they can get it to boot the rest is easy
as most of the stuff is already there.

Peter