[Marketing] [IAEP] SoaS change of direction: heads-up on convos in other lists

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Wed Mar 24 04:07:51 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:29, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Martin is sooo right!  A great focus would be in making SoaS very non-techie
> friendly so that average classroom teachers and parents can use it and share
> it with children.
>
> The number of tech-savvy teachers is pathetically small. The CUE (Computer
> Using Educators) conference early this month had over 1000 attendees out of
> about 307,000 teachers in California! That is a paltry 0.3257%!  And many of
> those attending really were beginners.
>
> These people need the easiest possible entry into the wonderful world of
> Sugar.

I think this thread is more about "how can we do the best we can with
the limited (and shrinking) resources", rather than "what do we wish
SoaS was".

A volunteer-based organization that sustains its operations on a fixed
set of people and doesn't make its priority renewing and growing it is
going to disintegrate soon rather than later, because those people's
energy is being used up and unless the work is very light and is very
evenly distributed, that energy won't be replenished fast enough.

This will be more of a collapse rather than a fading, because as
enthusiast contributors have stepped back during the last months, the
work load has grown on the ones who stayed, and also the result of
their work has become less gratifying. At some point, one of the
remaining fibres will break and the others won't be able to absorb any
more work.

So I would like the Sugar Labs community to look at itself, be proud
of what we have achieved to date, but realize that it needs to change
to a more sustainable model if it wants to keep on. A model in which
it's clear what is being done and what is not being done, in which
people take tasks more often than creates them, in which expectations
are in line with capacity and in which there's no discussion about
doing stuff without discussing who is going to do it.

Regards,

Tomeu