[Marketing] HP & Novell show OpenSUSE education netbook at Computex (Competitive Landscape)

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 09:23:44 EDT 2010

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2010/100623xa.html
http://www.hp.com/go/miniedu
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2010/mobility2010/HPMini100eDatasheet.pdf
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2010/mobility2010/images/HPMini100eAngle.png

Media launch today of the HP Mini 100e. Minisite and PDF not up yet.

OS: choice between Windows XP Home, Windows 7 Starter ("may require
optional external DVD drive"), and SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11
(http://www.novell.com/products/desktop). Windows offer sweetened with
reduced-function Word and Excel.

Built-in v.92 modem standard; wifi optional and costs extra (!)

At first glance, seems like a cross between a Classmate PC and the
Dell Latitude 2100 education netbook, including the price (under $300
for bulk deals).

No info about a classroom charger/router, which is central to Dell's
marketing strategy for K-6.

Sean.