[Marketing] [SoaS] Activities and Features for SoaS V4

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Jun 7 09:51:39 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 03:14:25PM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
> Martin, I think you're being hard on John here.

I gave him my opinion as to the relevance and specificity of what he
was asking other people do for some purpose that was quite vague.  Are
we not allowed to say "that's not a good idea, here's why"?  If I'm
rude it's not intentional...sorry for any offense unintentionally
given.  But it's hard to be fully diplomatic and get a message across
as the same time, so I'd rather opt for the message.

> We feel that the OLPC approach - countrywide sales at minister level
> - is far more difficult in developed countries. [...] we are up
> against two formidable barriers against getting Sugar into
> classrooms: unfamiliarity and difficulty of installation. These are
> the problems Sugar on a Stick and the SoaS Creation Kit can help
> solve.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said, but how did you get
from my feedback on "please create a diagram of the SoaS .iso creation
schedule" to imagining I was arguing with any of the above principles?

> The FOSS development process can be very obscure even for somewhat
> technical edu buyers. John is just suggesting that an impactful visual
> can help to inform, like magazine articles which have sidebars
> explaining complex relationships for example the money flow between
> financial institutions.

I agree with that suggestion.  I disagree with the explicit statement
that a diagram of the SoaS .iso creation schedule is a useful thing to
spend time on now.  Are we really at the stage where its lack is a
barrier to new educators joining given all the lacking OEM agreements
and other things you mentioned?

Anyway I'm not saying nobody should do it (.iso creation schedule
diagram).  I'm saying 1) sounds like John knows enough to try doing it
himself; and 2) developers would be better off letting John do it and
doing things that only they can do.  Not sure why this is seen as
"hard on John".

> Sean

Martin