[Marketing] [IAEP] OLPC rules out Windows for XO-3

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Thu Jun 3 17:29:16 EDT 2010

On 4 June 2010 09:07, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
>   > As soon as I heard that OLPC was moving to ARM, I winced
>   > slightly. This is going to make life much more difficult, because
>   > of our longstanding Linux, Python and recent GNOME heritage. What
>   > is Sugar Labs' role with the XO-3+?
>
> I don't understand -- the XO-3 (and XO-1.5) will run Linux, Python and
> Sugar, as described in Ed's e-mail at the start of this thread.  What
> has become much more difficult?

Opps. I was fairly certain that it was a real pain to have an ARM computer
run Linux[1]. I guess life is slightly different when you can talk to a
manufacturer and avoid Windows CE altogether.

Also, given that Android doesn't use many GNU libraries in userland, e.g.
gcc, I didn't really consider it to be Linux. Therefore, as far as the Sugar
stack went, I didn't realise that Android's API would be as flexible to
support GTK+ libraries.

Thanks for the corrections!

Tim.

[1]