[Marketing] Sugar and ARM

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 3 17:09:02 EDT 2010

On 06/03/2010 04:57 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
> As soon as I heard that OLPC was moving to ARM, I winced slightly. This
> is going to make life much more difficult, because of our longstanding
> Linux, Python and recent GNOME heritage.

For the record, Sugar runs perfectly fine on ARM, and has for years.  (The
same is true of Gnome.)  ARM is not a problem.  The challenge here is the
slate-style hardware, which is significantly different from the hardware
for which Sugar has been developed.  That hardware would be no less
challenging for us if the CPU were x86.

--Ben