[Marketing] [IAEP] OLPC rules out Windows for XO-3

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 3 14:21:59 EDT 2010

On 06/03/2010 01:45 PM, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> My suggestion would be to first convene a "ground up rethink" of what
> a touch-based Sugar could be.
>  The result should be a
> *book*, which describes the ideal UI.  That will be the long term
> (think, next decade!) goals for Sugar.

That's a nice idea, but we have a deadline.  In a year or less, OLPC needs
a release-quality OS build for touch-screen tablet.  People can also
engage in some long-term dreaming, but OLPC cannot wait for it.

Getting to something _good_ in a year is going to happen by incremental
improvement, even if there were real money available for development (and
I haven't heard of any big $$ so far).  The immediate interesting question
to me is whether that incremental improvement is best started from current
Sugar, or whether there is something to be gained by starting from Meego,
or some other effort.

--Ben