[Marketing] Possible style for upstream/downstream diagram

John Tierney jtis4stx at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 01:03:14 EDT 2010

> From: garycmartin at googlemail.com
> Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 18:10:16 +0100
> To: marketing at lists.sugarlabs.org
> Subject: [Marketing] Possible style for upstream/downstream diagram
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Spotted this info-graphic style a while back and thought it could be an ideal style for a diagram clarifying upstream/downstream relationships. Would likely switch it to a vertical portrait orientation, and be more 'watery' in metaphor than 'foodie', but I think you'll get the gist:
>
> 	http://www.flickr.com/photos/starsammy/4605760111/
>
> Need someone to list out the arcs/nodes, I'd only be up-to speed on a few of the more obvious relationships.
>
> Regards,
> --Gary
>
> P.S. If I could remember who raised the topic, I would go haunt them for the details directly ;)

May be from this thread Tues April 27th:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2010-April/002799.html

Here is an excerpt that speaks to the need for visual diagrams of SoaS and Sugar along with Upstream and
Downstream partners/relationships-timelines/constraints.  Marketing can help here but the drawing of relationships
an the intricacies involved in different release processes would best be accomplished if drawn up first by those closest to them.

.......I believe we are all working towards
the same goal. From the marketing,
educational outreach, not so
techy side of things, I believe we need some
help actually
understanding the process of getting the activities qualified,
the
time frame(timeline), the upstream-downstream relationships. I
along with the
Teachers, Educators, University Professors outside
of Computer Science have
a hard time understanding and
visualizing the process.

Possibly a
Workflow/Mindmap/Timeline Project Map that explains the SoaS Process,

the Sugar build, the Fedora build, the connections/constraints as
they relate to
Upstream-Downstream, who is Upstream-Downstream,
the dates when activity testing
should take place, and any other
tasks/constraints that relate to putting together this
successful
build. If you could come up with a one page visual that would be
enormously
helpful to our messaging and help new members of
the Sugar Community understand the
mechanisms and processes
related to FOSS projects. Having a Big Picture view helps
understand
where your individual work fits in and also helps with the
expectation aspect.
Clear, Simple, Visual.

After this
stable build with group of activities is released, what is process
and what
will it take to get other activities working?

Some
questions:
Is there a plan to include with the release a Guide
with Screenshots for Bug Tracking
(How to file bug and where
for SoaS 3), Activity testing reports, USB Creator. For the

Elementary teacher, College of Education individual, and the
students the screenshot
variety of tutorial is essential. If
not I understand  with lack of resources, but could
this
possibly be worked on following release.(I read in the threads that
some documentation
is being included) Doing a little extra
here by going beyond written instructions on the wiki
and putting
together these screenshot tutorials will help the future users of
Sugar tremendously.

Another question would be
after they receive Mirabelle and go to ASLO to get
more
activities what exactly happens?
Do they just try and download
any Activity and see if they work?
Will they be prevented
from downloading non-working activities?
Do we have a second list
of partially working or completely broken activities?

want to fully understand the present situation that way when we
present to them
I will know the kind of resources to ask them to
try to put in place when they return
to their perspective
Universities and reach out to colleagues........
We ended up handing out 300-350 Sugar Demo CD's and Sugar on a Stick Creation Kit07version DVD's(No Mirabelle-wasn't ready) at the Computers and Writing Conference at Purdue.
I will be following up with these University Level Researchers and Writing Program Experts and
would like to see that these above necessities for long term success are put into the pipeline.

Please understand I read the meeting minutes from SoaS release wrap-up

and have been following much on SoaS list but many of are intended
end-users

and helpers will never have the time to read what they would have to try andunderstand-thus a real effort to take time to
make/condense are most important timelines,
relationships, and communications into one page visual documents that a Elementary school
Teacher/Student/Parent can look at and understand how they can fit in is important.
In this case a picture is worth a thousand words.
Just some thoughts to get the ball rolling.
Best!
John Tierney