[Marketing] Color boot logo for the XO-1 / XO-1.5

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Jul 22 13:38:57 EDT 2010

As we're nearing a the release of Dextrose 0.88, perhaps we could update
the OLPC boot animation.

Children who have been using F11-0.84 got into the habit of calling it
"Sugar Labs" because the logo in the corner was the most prominently
visible change.

To distinguish 0.88 from 0.84, we could simply revisit the idea of
colorizing the Sugar Labs logo with a unique color pair, like we do in
SoaS.

We could even replace the boot animation with something different, but
time is very short: we need the frames done by next week. This is the
complete set of boot graphics:

  http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/olpc/bootanim/

If we choose to do the simple thing of colorizing the SugarLabs logo,
all we need to do is update this one file:

  http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/olpc/bootanim/sl.png

Then, I'll just superimpose the new logo on all frames with ImageMagick:

 for i in `seq -f %02.0f 0 25`; do
        composite -gravity SouthWest sl.png frame$i.png frame$i-sl.png
        mv frame$i-sl.png frame$i.png
 done

To test the animation:

 animate -resize 50% frame??.png