[Marketing] Logotype for Dextrose

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Aug 5 00:14:28 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 15:53 -0400, Christian Marc Schmidt wrote:
> Before we use what Gary sent:
>

> Bernie, I'm mainly trying to understand where and how this fits in to
> our identity system. In concrete terms, I am thinking that "Dextrose"
> should be appended as a suffix to "sugar" in gray type, like we are
> doing in the case of "sugar on a stick" (for
> reference: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Logo)
>
> I did some explorations early on when we had just launched the
> identity that I thought worked very well.
>
> Does this make sense? If so, I can provide the assets later this
> afternoon.

Gary's design is exactly what I had in mind, but your proposal sounds
good. To make sure I understand: the logo would be "sugar dextrose",
with "sugar" in green+white and "dextrose" in grey?

I have just one concern: trademark licensing. We want to encourage all
deployments to adopt Dextrose and customize it any way they like. Do we
need to obtain a transferrable license for this? If obtaining permission
turns out to to be difficult, I'd be inclined to side-step all issues by
not using our trademark at all.

(the Dextrose 1 final release is planned in 10 days).