[Marketing] FW: Follow-up XO Laptop/Sugar

John Tierney jtis4stx at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:39:11 EDT 2009

Hello All,

This email is from Marc Dubois who is Career Focused Education Technology Manager for Oakland Schools ISD who
helps support and deliver services to the 29 school districts in Oakland County, MI. It gives you an idea of the
technical direction large US school districts are going in. For this particular situation it would seem Sugar running
in a virtual machine would be the answer? Do we have something presently available that fits this scenario?
Would Sugar delivered through a virtualized desktop work along with Sugar on a Stick?

Any suggestions on what I should get to Marc to test/take a look at would be helpful. In this situation Sugar's
ability to run alongside all the other applications in a larger system seems to be the key. Not being a technical
guru I need some guidance in this area.

The BMMT refers to Business, Management, Marketing, and Technology Instructors who I will be meeting with
here in the near future to discuss creating an Open Source curriculum for High School students at the four
technical schools they operate. Hacking and testing Sugar will be high priorities for me to get embedded into
the curriculum structure. Their idea is to test drive some things at the four technical campuses and then offer
them to the districts when they are refined. Figuring this out gives access to the 199 elementary schools they
serve.

Along with the two XO's I lent him, I also gave him a Sugar on a Stick and Sugar on a SD card to test out.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

John Tierney