[Marketing] OLPC's dream lives on in Sugar

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 05:51:42 EDT 2009

Hi Bernie

Walter had sent me a heads-up about this one.

Professor Negroponte responded in a comment
(http://www.undispatch.com/node/8867) which an editor reprinted.

I'm not seeing comments under the story - were they removed?

This piece is entirely from secondary sources - all she did was read a
handful of negative articles. She didn't contact OLPC (or Sugar Labs
for that matter), she didn't bother reading any case studies. She
didn't speak with any teachers or Learners. Would she even be
interested in painting a truer picture? Hard to tell... when an
article is that slanted without presenting an opposing point of view,
it's a warning sign.

Usually, the way I prefer dealing with sloppy journalism (as opposed
to out-and-out hatchet jobs) is to add the author to our mailing list.
One or two press releases later, they realize we exist and are alive
and kicking.

However, Nicholas' comment, and yours, as well as the fact that this
blog likely has wide NGO and government readership, has changed my
mind on this one. Walter, I agree, let's respond, but to the editor,
not the author.

thanks

Sean