[Marketing] [IAEP] Sugar on a Stick v2 Release Naming

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Wed Sep 9 17:13:11 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 10:57:00PM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
> In fact Martin if I remember correctly we had already discussed this
> on-list... I will try to find the thread.

Please let me know.  I did google for 'sugar "ice cream" soas' before
I said I couldn't find anything besides the IRC meeting I mentioned.

> The idea is to maximize launch impact by keeping the element of
> surprise on our side.

Ok...who are we surprising, though?  The journalists?  Won't they be
surprised anyway, not being subscribed to our lists?  As recent list
posts have demonstrated[1,2,3], even people subscribed to our lists are
surprised by content as recent as a few months ago.

> This is also why the ice-cream shop doesn't announce their summer
> specials in advance

The analogy is not apt for software _development_, though it may be
apt to _marketing_.  Given Fedora and Ubuntu do announce their
codenames well in advance of the release, they must be missing out on
the marketing surprise in preference for the developer sanity (not
having to remember not to say the code name publicly, or not even know
what the logo will be until late in the game).

Perhaps Fedora's "each code name is related to the last in an
insider-known way that it's fun to guess" might be a way to speak to
both needs?

Or developers can just settle for talking about things in terms of
integers, which isn't so bad.

> Another idea with the flavor name roughly matching the logo color is
> for nongeeks to easily identify a SoaS version by mentioning the color
> of the Sugar logo at boot time. This helps us avoid horrid text and
> version numbers during the graphic boot sequence.

I think this point is for Yama, right?  You and I both assumed this
point was self-evident, but I guess it's not.

> You may remember Gary said (after his great green recoloring job on
> the beauty shot) that he was putting in a vote for Gooseberry
> (http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/sugar-meeting.log.20090609_1104.html)...

Yup, and you mentioned "Apple" before him.  Are you suggesting either
in place of "Lime"?

> Sean

Martin

1. "Let's log IRC channels" in
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2009-September/008186.html

2. "Can we add a new [!!!] [SoaS] naming scheme [using numbers]?" in
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-September/019000.html

3. The irony of me saying "oh, did I miss a list post" immediately
before this is not lost on me.