[Marketing] [SoaS] SoaS Blueberry Marketing Collateral

Douglas McClendon dmc.sugar at filteredperception.org
Tue Nov 24 16:14:14 EST 2009

Sean DALY wrote:
> ok thanks for that Sebastian, so it creates a partition on a hard disk
> with Windows or OSX already installled? That's quite a risky operation
> for any nongeek teacher or parent to do. We need to warn them before
> they click on anything, in our doc. And add a phrase about how backup
> can be done to an external disk.

One could look at the way zyx-liveinstaller is split into two very
distinct pieces.  The backend shell script that does the actual install
by making writes to disk, and the frontend GUI which lets the user
choose the target partitions, and warns them on multiple occasions
before actually invoking the disk-changing shell script.

I think in some sense that is an existing literal implementation of the
'need to warn them before...' part of your statement.

> The install barrier is our greatest technical obstacle to Sugar
> adoption. Sugar on a Stick sidesteps that, but what makes non-techies
> willing to try it is our promise of no risk to the existing hard drive
> installation. If we introduce risk, that changes our message, which
> could work, but will require warnings, backup advice and probably a
> scary disclaimer ("use this software at your own risk, Sugar Labs
> accepts no responsibility for data loss...")

I would like to take this time to remind users of SoaS or _any linux
distribution_ that they are running code from hundreds if not thousands
of individual packages, which individually, and obviously collectively,
are subject to the following warning from the GPL they are licensed under-

"
11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER
EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE
ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH
YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL
NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
"

This applies whether or not a tool like zyx-liveinstaller is included
and/or used.

I seriously doubt that SugarLabs is, or intends to provide a warranty
above and beyond this.  That would no doubt be in the domain of
commercial organizations supporting the software, i.e. as Canonical and
RedHat do for their paying customers.  (and I haven't checked recently
to see whether or not their paid support provides any guarantees
different from the GPL's defacto un-guarantee)

-dmc