[Marketing] Fwd: Proposal: "What's new"

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Nov 19 08:03:57 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:10, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it's very clear there's lots of work to do. Misperceptions about
> OLPC and by extension Sugar Labs are deeply rooted, we're paying the
> price for OLPC's past unwillingness to combat misperceptions about the
> project.
>
> Sugar unfortunately does not even rate a mention on the GNOME-related
> project listing ( http://projects.gnome.org ).

Just added Sugar to the file in git, guess it will take some time to
be up in the site.

http://git.gnome.org/cgit/gnomeweb-wml/commit/?id=4045050c0fe6094124c064aad53f8b90224e012b

> I've been on their press list for awhile, but they seem to just be
> getting started.
>
> I have seen some work on marketing and PR strategy, in particular
> related to the 3.0 launch next year, but like us, their marketing team
> is small.

Crazy idea: could we trade mentions of GNOME in our marketing stuff
for mentions of Sugar in their community stuff?

> Historically speaking, weak branding by KDE and GNOME have
> unfortunately contributed to the very marginal GNU/Linux desktop
> market share these past ten years. I'll elaborate on that in a post
> soon. Marketing remains an afterthought in most FLOSS projects, with
> unsurprising results. Their brand weakness means press release
> mentions may not have any effect on developers (and none if any on
> users), that said release note mentions (which are regularly read by
> developers) would probably work better.

Maybe we could make it an article in a publication such as LWN?

> Sugar doesn't get mentioned on their marketing list, but I have just
> joined that one too rather than just look at it from time to time. I
> have found that speaking up occasionally in the Fedora and openSUSE
> marketing lists is productive. The Ubuntu marketing team has
> unfortunately been disorganized for awhile, although there is a recent
> effort over there to work on that.

Yes, this sounds like something worth doing.

> A thread like below is absent from both the GNOME marketing and press
> lists... as so often happens, developers aren't talking to marketers
> :-(
>
> Recruiting developers is a very specific problem. I've recently come
> to believe that probably the best way to reach free software
> developers, aside from meeting with them in person, is to get
> technical articles into GNU/Linux-oriented publications. All the
> developed countries have at least one and sometimes 2 or 3 titles,
> monthly or bi-monthly. Articles about the development environment,
> with code... which means written by developers, with all their free
> time available (I know, I know).

I'm not sure many actual contributors read paper publications, AFAICS
those are targeted towards enthusiasts and beginner developers, but
people already in this world go directly to the sources (developers'
blogs, mailing lists and publications such as LWN).

> Perhaps the very best way to shift this quickly would be for a
> respected GNOME hacker to blog about Sugar? I don't know any :-(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Mena has supported us from the
beginning and is one of the most respected GNOME hackers. He has shown
us in the GNOME hackfest in Bolzano that he keeps an interest in Sugar
so I would say he's the best one to approach at first. Other people
who have been involved in Sugar development and are active in the
GNOME blogosphere:

John Palmieri: http://www.j5live.com/
Dan William: http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/
Dan Winship: http://danw.mysterion.org/