[Marketing] Fwd: Proposal: "What's new"

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Nov 19 05:07:16 EST 2009

[readding the mailing list to CC]

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:50, Carlo Falciola <cfalciola at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Yes, it was mine impression too...
> Then maybe a good starting point could be to prepare a short summary, substantially based on the points you already listed here that I just rephrased:
>  1. what Sugar is
>  2. what Sugar Labs is
>  3. SL is volunteer based
>  4. Sugar is being used by  >1 million children,
>  5. Sugar is based in GNOME
>  6. OLPC is _not_ shipping Windows, and never did
>  7. Sugar is avilable in more & more distros....
>
> Then this could be sent to their mailing list directly from someone that is "known" (you?)

This would work for a smaller project, but with GNOME there isn't a
single medium that can reach all contributors and only a few people
are known by most of the community (Federico is one of them).

I have been trying to pass this message using the GNOME planet, but it
only reaches a small part of the community (due to peculiar editorial
management in the past, lots of people ignore it).

So I think that in order to reach most of the community, we need to
put the message often and in several different channels. If some of
the most followed GNOME hackers blogged about Sugar, this would be
effective.

> even better to start listing distinct (technical) areas of collaboration too...

This was my last attempt:

http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/09/free-education-as-in-free-speech.html

But it clearly could have had a much bigger impact.

Regards,

Tomeu

Farning