[Marketing] OLPC-SL_PR_20091119draft

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Tue Nov 17 12:51:36 EST 2009

Think about the, make your own animated book angle, might not take too many
words to add it.

I think this book says so many wonderful things, not just about how to teach
with the XO, but as an example of a teacher contributing to a world wide
education movement.  The story he uses for this one particular less is also
wonderful.  If not this press release, maybe another.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> the OLPC Association.
> >>
> >> Please send suggestions for additions/deletions/editing or general angle
> >> as
> >> soon as possible, I would like this to go live before the end of the
> week
> >> during the Educatice show in Paris (I will be coordinating the OLPC
> >> France/Sugar Labs table).
> >>
> >> It's in read-only for now as I await feedback from Chuck Kane and will
> >> certainly require editing (it's too wordy for now). triple <<<>>>
> >> means "comment" and "xyz" means "insert text here"
> >>
> >> This is a unique opportunity to flip negative press about OLPC, I have
> >> therefore started large; we will have to cut (perhaps a lot).
> >>
> >> I see the objectives as:
> >>
> >> * show that OLPC and Sugar Labs do indeed work together
> >> * distinguish OLPC Association from Foundation. To do this, PR datelined
> >> Miami for OLPC side, no quote from Professor Negroponte
> >> * continue Sugar Labs i18n. To do this, PR datelined from this week's
> >> Educatice show in Paris; while citing MIT roots
> >> * make OLPC doubters rethink their point of view, overinfluenced by tech
> >> pundits short on information
> >> * cram lots of news in, showing that things are advancing in several
> areas
> >> e.g. v0.86 "released last month" features, Internet Archive partnership,
> >> Sugar on a Stick pilots, XS server, Gnome desktop
> >> * squash negative speculation about the absence of G1G1 this year by
> >> showing priority is on getting laptops out
> >> * quote Peru's education ministry, the kind of source most tech pundits
> >> have no access to
> >>
> >> Featuring:
> >> * claim: 1.4 million laptops distributed
> >> * cite a handful of deployments, including hotspots like Haiti,
> >> Afghanistan
> >> and Gaza, as well as developed countries like USA and Australia. Many
> >> journalists following country keywords will spot this
> >> * bring up power consumption goal, which deflects criticism of slow
> >> performance in tech benchmarks with fancy netbooks
> >> * mention Pixel Qi, which has high interest pending 3Qi screen
> >> * reference to completion of Uruguay deployment and previous Peru
> >> deployment, to reinforce impression this is not a one-time order
> >> * intentionally vague release date for the XO-1.5, to pre-empt
> irrelevant
> >> criticism later
> >> * prominent mentions of Activities (cf. edited About graf)
> >> * explicit mention of Intel Classmates and Dell school netbook (this is
> >> debatable, as Intel partners seem to still be competing with OLPC for
> >> government sales)
> >> * explicit mention of 4 GNU/Linux distributions
> >>
> >> NOT featuring:
> >> * XO-1.75 or ARM reference (will only confuse with XO-1.5, despite buzz
> >> power)
> >> * XO-2 or XO-3 references (concept machines not in Association scope)
> >> * Lofty Association goals (but could be changed, we all have that

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove