[Marketing] OLPC-SL_PR_20091119draft

sdaly at sugarlabs.org sdaly at sugarlabs.org
Mon Nov 16 16:36:18 EST 2009

I've shared a document with you:

OLPC-SL_PR_20091119draft
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AdHD6KQrRjyaZGRoODhnNm5fOWY0bXpqdmd4&hl=en&invite=CMfc6IAF

It's not an attachment -- it's stored online at Google Docs. To open this
document, just click the link above.

Here's the link to the first draft of our first joint press release with
the OLPC Association.

Please send suggestions for additions/deletions/editing or general angle as
soon as possible, I would like this to go live before the end of the week
during the Educatice show in Paris (I will be coordinating the OLPC
France/Sugar Labs table).

It's in read-only for now as I await feedback from Chuck Kane and will
certainly require editing (it's too wordy for now). triple <<<>>>
means "comment" and "xyz" means "insert text here"

This is a unique opportunity to flip negative press about OLPC, I have
therefore started large; we will have to cut (perhaps a lot).

I see the objectives as:

* show that OLPC and Sugar Labs do indeed work together
* distinguish OLPC Association from Foundation. To do this, PR datelined
Miami for OLPC side, no quote from Professor Negroponte
* continue Sugar Labs i18n. To do this, PR datelined from this week's
Educatice show in Paris; while citing MIT roots
* make OLPC doubters rethink their point of view, overinfluenced by tech
pundits short on information
* cram lots of news in, showing that things are advancing in several areas
e.g. v0.86 "released last month" features, Internet Archive partnership,
Sugar on a Stick pilots, XS server, Gnome desktop
* squash negative speculation about the absence of G1G1 this year by
showing priority is on getting laptops out
* quote Peru's education ministry, the kind of source most tech pundits
have no access to

Featuring:
* claim: 1.4 million laptops distributed
* cite a handful of deployments, including hotspots like Haiti, Afghanistan
and Gaza, as well as developed countries like USA and Australia. Many
journalists following country keywords will spot this
* bring up power consumption goal, which deflects criticism of slow
performance in tech benchmarks with fancy netbooks
* mention Pixel Qi, which has high interest pending 3Qi screen
* reference to completion of Uruguay deployment and previous Peru
deployment, to reinforce impression this is not a one-time order
* intentionally vague release date for the XO-1.5, to pre-empt irrelevant
criticism later
* prominent mentions of Activities (cf. edited About graf)
* explicit mention of Intel Classmates and Dell school netbook (this is
debatable, as Intel partners seem to still be competing with OLPC for
government sales)
* explicit mention of 4 GNU/Linux distributions

NOT featuring:
* XO-1.75 or ARM reference (will only confuse with XO-1.5, despite buzz
power)
* XO-2 or XO-3 references (concept machines not in Association scope)
* Lofty Association goals (but could be changed, we all have that idealism
I think)