[Marketing] OLPC XO-1 laptop to tour 30 U.S. cities starting Feb 2010

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Nov 2 11:08:08 EST 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Mike Lee <curiouslee at gmail.com> wrote:
> The XO-1 is featured in a new book called Design Revolution as one of 100
> innovative products that empower people to change the world [1]. The book
> has spawned a road tour that will take about 40 of the products to schools
> and universities in 30 cities acorss the U.S. starting in February 2010. [2]
> [3]
>
> Of course Sugar is nowhere to be mentioned. While the book is a done deal,
> there really seems to be an opportunity to make sure that the author knows
> to work in mention of Sugar during her talks and outreach.
>
> It's actually kind of illogical to showcase just the XO-1 as the
> revolutionary product as it couldn't effect change without the unique
> software inside.
>
> Mike
>

> [1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/sets/72157622043466501/
>
> [2] http://projecthdesign.org/designrevolutionroadshow.html
>
> [3] http://www.flickr.com/photos/projecthdesign/sets/72157622488624810/

cc'ing OLPC-SF.

Launch party is in SF. They also have SF State University on the list.
We'll plan on doing something around that time as well to highlight
both the XO and Sugar. We do have LTSP and Sugar (0.86) now running on
campus, although there are several issues to be addressed there. Maybe
we can do a LTSP + Sugar setup to coincide with this event.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems