[Marketing] [Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Request for Artwork: Boot Screen

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat May 30 10:30:06 EDT 2009

Hi Christian,

On 30 May 2009, at 10:17, Christian Marc Schmidt wrote:

> Hi Gary, this looks good, though I wonder about the loss of the XO in
> the center. The boot sequence was intended to establish the UI, and in
> many ways the XO does signify the Sugar brand as much (more?) as the
> logo. Suggestion: Could we not simply show the logo for a few seconds,
> before transitioning into the current boot sequence? I'd hate to lose
> the current sequence, I think it works very well, and Eben will attest
> that much time was spent arriving at where we are today...

Yes, agreed, the original boot up is very hard to beat (showing a
child as central). Just bouncing ideas about here. My only criticisms
of the original would be:

1) not liking the kid icon breaking into a rotating arrow treatment
(seems too forced/smart, the whole XO icon is a stronger identity,
appearing dots show progress just fine)

2) seemed odd for the dots to appear from 6 o'clock to 6 o'clock (12
to 12 feels more natural to me)

3) lack of any colour (though this is tough to avoid breaking HIG
iconography on colour use)

Regards,
--Gary