[Marketing] Competitive Landscape: Qimo 4 Kids

Mike Lee curiouslee at gmail.com
Fri May 29 13:02:50 EDT 2009

Kevin Cole of our Learning Club pointed this out to me:

http://www.qimo4kids.com/page/What-is-Qimo.aspx

"Qimo is a desktop operating system designed for kids. Based on the open
source Ubuntu Linux <http://www.ubuntu.com/> desktop, Qimo comes
pre-installed with educational games for children aged 3 and up.

Qimo's interface has been designed to be intuitive and easy to use,
providing large icons for all installed games, so that even the youngest
users have no trouble selecting the activity they want."

And from their FAQ:

http://www.qimo4kids.com/page/FAQ.aspx
*Q: Why not use Sugar <http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page>from the OLPC
project <http://laptop.org/>?* A: Sugar is a very good interface for the
OLPC computers it was made for, but many of the design decisions and
interfaces don't work nearly as well on standard PCs. Qimo uses a customized
XFCE interface to provide a fast, lightweight, and most importantly an easy
to navigate interface that works well with standard computers, monitors and
keyboards.

Here's a review, but not much mention of what kids' software is included.

http://www.raiden.net/articles/review_qimo_linux_for_kids/

Mike