[Marketing] Business Week on Dell Latitude 2100 education netbook

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat May 23 15:22:09 EDT 2009

I think once XS is working well and software update works we can provide
similar maintenance advantages with centralized updating of our systems.

I am worried about the fact we don't have a way to restrict internet usage
and/or to force all the computers in a class to the same page. I think
schools will want this feature.

If we provided it so students or teachers could use it, it might be a good
tool for students to present their work.

Interesting article. Thanks

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2009/05/dell_takes_netb.html
>
> A short article by someone who understood Dell's key differentiators:
>
> * the blinky LED bar in the cover, software-configurable (but no info
> yet on how)
> * the services, especially preloaded custom image, to reduce school
> admin workload.
>
> Dell is not "announcing" the price of the 24-bay cart
> charger/switch... because it is said to be nearly US $4000. Clearly,
> their business model is to scrape profit in the notoriously
> unprofitable netbook sector by:
>
> * making the base price of the netbook fairly low ($369), but with
> useful options like 802.11n, touchscreen, webcam etc. price climbs
> quickly to > US $500
>
> * making a very tidy profit on the charger bay, which every school
> admin will want to have... for every classroom.
>

> The Dell service proposal of custom preloaded images - so school
> admins are freed from lengthy individual setp - is another
> differentiator which most netbook vendors (in the developed countries
> at least) will have difficulty matching.

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com

617-500-3488 - Office