[Marketing] PCPro (UK) article re Dell netbook: disability/out sick angle

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Tue May 19 09:49:26 EDT 2009

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/253125/dell-launches-netbook-for-schools.html

"Dell claims it consulted about 100 students, teachers and education
experts over the design of the netbook"
Not any MIT education experts, I'm assuming :D

"There's also an optional built-in webcam, which will allow pupils who
can't physically make it into school to have face-to-face contact with
their teachers. "We have a girl with cystic fibrosis in the Royal
Brompton [hospital] who can still continue learning," explained Dr
Christine Carpenter, headmistress of the Sacred Heart High School in
Hammersmith, which has been trialling the netbooks for Dell."
Every parent myself included worries about kids who are out sick
missing class...

"The Latitude 2100 will come with either Windows XP/Vista or Ubuntu
Linux options, although the latter may not prove popular with pupils,
according to Sacred Heart's IT technician: "Most of them [children]
want XP because that's what they've got at home," he told PC Pro."
Ubuntu is standard and Windows is an extra-cost option, although Dell
lets you discover that when ordering. But I agree with the school's IT
guy: my kids are less interested in the XO since they have Macs at
home (even 6-year-old Macs are fancy compared to netbooks...)