[Marketing] [IAEP] OLPCorps: an opportunity for Sugar feedback

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Thu Mar 19 06:21:37 EDT 2009

I highly doubt that OLPCorps personnel will be useful to Sugarlabs.
Trying to work w/ them will just be a time sink.

1. Few of these folks will know anything about Sugar or really care,
otherwise they would already be active on the mailing lists.

2. They are going from microbe-free Europe/North America to central
Africa. I conservatively estimate that all of them will spend 1/3 to 1/2
of their stay in Central Africa sick w/ malaria or intestinal problems.
I don't mean to judge Africa harshly here, if they came to rural Nepal
they would spend at least 1 month sick.

3. I doubt very few of these people will be able to communicate
effectively w/ the locals. This is not a language issue but a cultural
one. If I go to a rural school and ask the locals how they like Sugar,
they always respond "Yes, yes, it is fantastic. No complaints" If my
colleague Rabi karmacharya goes, they give him a long list of
complaints. Locals know not to complain to foreigners, because telling
foreigners what they might not want to hear usually leads foreigners to
stop giving money.

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 10:57 +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 06:32, Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com> wrote:
> > I thought you folks might be interested in the conversation/questions I
> > had with Paul Commons about the OLPCorps internship program tonight.
> > Paul's going to be moving discussions to the grassroots mailing list, so
> > please reply to Paul on that list if you're interested in the program
> > itself or the workings of it.
> >
> > http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/grassroots/2009-March/001151.html
> >
> > What I /do/ want to discusson this list: given that all these pilots and
> > all these student internship teams are going to be using Sugar, it seems
> > like this is an awesome opportunity to...
> >
> > 1) get some Sugar feedback love from teachers through the OLPCorps teams
> >
> > 2) seed Sugar-savvy groups of university students (who can do things
> > like deploy SoaS back home right away - there's nothing like a local
> > deployment to work with to keep you engaged)
> >
> > 3) get some great Sugar use stories so we can hear about what our stuff
> > actually /does/ for kids.
> >
> > What do you folks think? How can we make this happen?
>
> I don't know that, but how we can help these groups of people to use
> Sugar more successfully?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tomeu
Bryan W. Berry