[Marketing] wiki question

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:43:45 EDT 2009

Yes Christian, that was me

My position is that since prior to the press release Google was not
showing any part of the static intro, most visitors and in particular
first-time visitors would land on the wiki... and have no idea the
static intro even existed.

The wiki is so easy to get lost in, I usually pull back to the wiki
homepage and try to drill down from there. It would be a lot to expect
from first-time visitors to make that effort.

It's the same situation with a.sl.o by the way, the static page is
unavailable from there - you can go in right from our homepage, but
you can't get back to the homepage through nav, only through the back
button. We mitigated these risks by having the wiki or a.sl.o open in
a separate window, but of course this creates a problem when viewing
from the Browse Activity.

David did a great job of rewriting the wiki homepage to orient
teachers and parents to the static intro and the wiki logo pointing to
the homepage fulfills the same function.

Now that the press release has gone out, Google is proposing the
homepage in #1, immediately followed by wiki pages. But, the link
lacks the "www." and the descriptive text is bad.

So my proposal is:

* fix how Google shows the homepage. Luke has an idea about how to do
that, we just have to suggest updated text from "Spin-off of the
"Sugar" desktop environment to another project." I would suggest
something like "Makers of the Sugar Learning Platform for Children."
or "Software for learning, with others", etc. Marketers: your ideas
please!

* Harmonize the top menu bar across the static intro, wiki, and
a.sl.o. This will probably mean losing some of the wiki links,
otherwise the bar will be too long.

* Monitor any changes in Google results over the next week. Remember,
the education mailing has not gone out yet, I've not had the time to
finalize the target list :-( but each mailing should reinforce
www.sugarlabs.org

* Analyze the stats to see if visitors are coming in from the wiki or not.

* If the nav problems are solved, fold the wiki and a.sl.o openings
into the single window and revisit the wiki logo question.

thanks

Sean