[Marketing] Static+wiki website integration problems to be fixed before Monday - urgent

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Sun Mar 15 14:01:43 EDT 2009

On Mar 14, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Sean DALY wrote:
> * The new homepage (sometimes called the "static site") should be
> http://www.sugarlabs.org. It should *not* be http://sugarlabs.org.
> http requests to that address should land on http://www.sugarlabs.org
> instead so visitors bookmark that address and not the shorter one.

Working on this now.

> * the old homepage (http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page) should now be
> called the wiki homepage, to communicate its role as the main page of
> the "workspace" part of the site. So it needs to have its title
> changed from "Sugar Labs/Welcome to Sugar Labs" to "Welcome to the
> Sugar Labs wiki".

Done.

> We had also agreed that its URL (and indeed all
> those of the wiki part) would become http://wiki.sugarlabs.org

Working on this now.

> * However, the wiki section stacked logo needs to link to the same
> address: http://www.sugarlabs.org, and not http://sugarlabs.org.

Done, but I think this is the wrong decision. In MediaWiki wikis, the
logo almost *always* lands you back on the wiki's home page, instead
of taking you offsite. I think this is good practice, and find the
alternative (logo goes back to static site) somewhat bewildering. I
propose re-linking the logo to the wiki home page.

> * On http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page, there is a link called Home in
> the green menu bar, it links to http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs. It
> should link to the homepage instead (http://www.sugarlabs.org). The
> current link remains accessible in the lefthand section list under
> Community/Sugar Labs.

I find this similarly bewildering. All the other links in that green
menu bar take you to portions of the wiki, so it's a reasonable
expectation that if you click, say, 'Getting involved', and then want
to get back to the home page, that clicking 'Home' in the green bar
would take you there. Instead, if I make the change you're suggesting,
it'll take you offsite.

Instead, I suggest removing the 'Home' link from the green menu bar
altogether, and adding a sentence to the green home page description
that says "You are currently browsing the Sugar Labs community wiki.
You may also visit the official _Sugar Labs website_." (where the
underlined part is a link to the static site). Thoughts?

Cheers,

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org