[IAEP] New sugarlabs website

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Mar 12 07:50:08 EDT 2009

Sean DALY wrote:
> This is a good solution since people clicking on "wiki" from the intro
> part of the site (which they will perceive as the "main" or "intro"
> section) arrive at wiki.sugarlabs.org; while people who get lost in
> the wiki will know they are in the wiki from the URL and will seek to
> get back to the "main" site.

We're depicting he wiki as if it was a maze of twisty little
passages, all alike :-)

If it seems so confusing, we should work on improving usability
rather than helping people escape from it.  I can't believe
average people can't get used to Mediawiki, since the #2 most
popular web site in the world is also based on it.

> Other fixes that are necessary for smooth integration:
>
> * The wiki logo needs to link to the intro or "main"

Ok.

> * The menu bar at the top of the wiki should start with "main" or
> "introduction" before "wiki", and link to the homepage

Ok, I have a bug open for that.

> * The wiki landing page http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page in becoming
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page will be clearly understood as
> the main page for the wiki, but the title text needs to be updated to
> reflect that: "Sugar Labs/Welcome to Sugar Labs" -> "Sugar
> Labs/Welcome to the Sugar Labs wiki"

It's currently the opposite: wiki.sugarlabs.org becomes sugarlabs.org.
I'm not entirely against making this change, but the rationale for it
shouldn't be protecting visitors from inadvertently seeing the wiki.

> It's not a big problem that the wiki landing page has some redundant
> material with the intro; streamlining can be done later. But these
> navigation problems need to be fixed as soon as possible. I am very
> concerned about this, I brought it up a week ago but I had assumed it
> was only a technical oversight. It's very important we get our message
> out.

I agree, but so far none of these points has been impeding users from
finding the static web site by typing a canonical "www.sugarlabs.org"
URL like you'd do for any other web site.

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/