[Fwd: Some incentives and changes.]

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Tue Mar 10 01:48:03 EDT 2009

> The Ottawa Linux Symposium is in mid July,
>
> I think I might make it, but but native English speakers would
> certainly do better than me.  The OLS is probably only second to
> the LCA for importance, so we shouldn't miss this opportunity.

Hey, that's not so bad, a ~7hr drive from Boston. Plane tickets also
seem to be available (Boston to Ontario roundtrip) for about $400.

I'd love to go (I'm in my "I'm young! I want to see the world!" phase),
and could be useful if what we want for a speech/paper at that point is
"convince many people to become active contributors to / partners of
SL." I'm currently free for those dates, too.

However, I may not be *the* most useful person for that. People like
Walter have much more Impressive Speech Giving Skills; I lack
exposure/practice (...but need to get it somehow to improve, you know.)
I also know I can't afford that plane ticket (or a hotel, but that's
what couchsurfing is for). And there are *way* better technical
contributors to give a technically oriented talk / work with other
hackers on Doing Stuff With Code during OLS, if that is what we want.
It'll be midway through the release cycle at that point.

Anyway, that's my availability/likely functionality/potential
opportunity cost/interest-flag. I'll now be passive-aggressive about
this and work on those interview for Sean instead...

--Mel