static site feedback: last points

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:05:43 EST 2009

thanks Christian comments inline :-)

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Christian Marc Schmidt
<christianmarc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Sean, comments below:
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Christian - just a few more comments but nothing that should hold back
>> the site from going live!
>>

>> * index in the footer: I had misunderstood. By all means keep it in.
>> However, to avoid user confusion if what they really want is the
>> homepage (and they don't use the dynamic button on the top or the
>> logo), perhaps it would be judicious to insert a "home" link before
>> the "index" link?
>>

> Makes sense! I will add it.
>

>> * pr address in the footer: could we replace the visible text with
>> "contact" ? I think that will be cleaner.
>>

> Agreed.
>

>> * I think the text color on the homepage is not matching the logo
>> "sugar" color... or if it is, it seems overly bright & dominates the
>> grey text. Perhaps the colored text could be a shade darker? Would it
>> help if I made specific web hex color code suggestions?
>>

> Not sure what you mean exactly. Since you keep coming back to this
> issue, I wonder if this may also be due to different screen
> brightnesses? I tried using white for the text, but it in turn
> overpowers the colored text. Is the issue that the gray text looks too
> dark on your screen?

yes... a fancy Apple Cinema display... and an old (2002) iBook at 800x600

it's less bothersome if some words are highlighted in color here &
there... what I didn't like was the whole first graf in color, then
the whole second graf in grey; kind of "demoted" the importance of
that second graf for me.

Of course, as stated previously I'm not really enamored with the black
background, which directly impacts the perception of the text... but I
don't think today is the day to explore other background options :-)

If the gery text could be a tad lighter... and/or the color text a tad
darker... the contrast between them would be less pronounced, in my
view.

>> * Homepage legend: could we put "Sugar Activities" instead of "The
>> Sugar Experience" ?
>>

> Again, I don't think Dongyun's narrative is really only about the
> activities, but about the entire experience (including the
> neighborhood view). But I'm open to finding a different caption as
> long as it captures the essence of the narrative...
>

>> * Could we put a rollover caption on the logo: "Sugar Labs - Learning
>> Software for Children" ?
>>

> Sure--I will work on that tonight.
>

>> * Is rearranging the activities a lot of effort? I'm concerned that
>> "Write" is the very last one on the bottom.... while many parents &
>> teachers might consider it to be a primary computer task.
>>

> We can absolutely rearrange--can you send me the order you'd prefer them in?

it was in one of my mails last night & dig it out now