Fw: Feedback re static frontend site

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 09:16:43 EST 2009

last couple of comments inline, thanks!

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Christian Marc Schmidt
<christianmarc at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> to say I do find it extremely cool that the homepage colors change
>> with the logo... the suggestion of surprise, of diversity in color.
>> That said, each time I did find the grey text having less importance
>> than the colored text... like "labs" is secondary to "sugar" in the
>> logo. Whereas the text should be of equal importance throughout I
>> think... As the screenshot + Dongyun Lee illustration have lots of
>> white, perhaps the grey homepage text up to "try it..." could be white
>> instead? Unless that messes up printing (white on white) and dominates
>> the grey of the logo, in which case a lighter grey? Alternatively: the
>> colored text a little darker, which would bring out the brightness of
>> the logo color and make the contrast with the grey less pronounced.
>> These approaches would make the page more readable I believe because
>> the logo "labs" grey and navigation grey ("more information",
>> copyright notice) are stable and anyway of secondary importance to the
>> text... Ultimately, I believe that there's a very effective color
>> balance to be found between the logo (+motto) and copy text. The logo
>> size has everything to do with this balance, in my view.
>>

> I'll try a slightly larger mark, though the balance between the logo
> and the typography is carefully considered. I tried white type at
> first, but it tends to overwhelm the colored type.
>

>> * "Try it with a child today." the period colored as well? Nitpicking,
>> but the call to action *is* vital - it's the conclusion of the pitch.
>>

> Changed.
>

>> * "content is available under attribution 3.0 unported" -> "content is
>> available under CC attribution 3.0 unported" ?
>>

> Fixed.
>

>> * The Dongyun Lee illustration legend: "The Sugar Experience" -> "the
>> sugar experience: Activities" ? As I've said, I think star marketing
>> -> spotlight on Activities will always put our best foot forward.
>> Lowercase for the legends would be in line with the logo, header,
>> footer, and "next->" nav; while capitalizing "Activities" will
>> indicate their importance. They are what kids spend most of their time
>> in Sugar doing, many Activities are exclusive to Sugar, and their
>> collaborative features make them more effective on the Sugar Learning
>> Platform than if they were taken out and thrown onto another GUI. [By
>> the way, I can imagine seeing on some... generous education portal
>> site a 468x60 anim-GIF ad banner showing: 1) a TamTam Jam logo 2) +
>> text "TamTam Jam" 3) text "one of 30 Activities of the award-winning
>> Sugar Learning Platform." 4) text "try it with a child today" + Sugar
>> Labs logo]
>>

> In this case I'm not sure the Activities emphasis makes sense (though
> I generally agree with you). The Dongyun piece is really larger than
> just individual activities... Though, if you have another suggestion
> for "The Sugar Experience", let me know--I was never terribly happy

Ah I forgot this a moment ago in my other mail
the reason I like the word Activities in that legend is the prominence
of the Write logo... and happy kids doing I imagine... an Activity ;-)

>> * In a similar vein, could we link from "Sugar Activities" in the text
>> body to the Activities page?
>
> Normally, yes, but we can't link from inside headlines. Could we add
> an "Activities" link to one of the gray paragraphs by changing the
> text?

Well, instead of: "Available in 25 languages, Sugar is used every
school day by almost one-million children in more than forty
countries." we could say: "Available in 25 languages, Sugar's
Activities are used every school day by almost one-million children in
more than forty countries." and link from that?