[Marketing] Toshiba press release for NECC

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:14:36 EDT 2009

Thanks for that Fred

Toshiba is a bit confused on their netbook page
(http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/mini-notebook/NB200); at the top
is a "Toshiba Recommends Windows Vista Ultimate" badge, while the
range offers the "familiar" Windows XP.

The netbook seems to be the only candidate model for small kids, but
it looks fragile to me. Marketing argument is: "made for showing off,
connect to social networks", which is not at all education targeting
like the solid Dell Latitide 2100. I can't imagine anyone giving a
$1200 swivel-screen tablet to a kid.

No info about the software offer for kids, which indicates there isn't any.

When they say their "laptop" range starts at $350 MSRP, it's easy to
understand why that NPD study
(http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10270881-92.html) found that 40% of
spontaneous purchasers of netbooks were disappointed with them
(despite saving a thousand dollars or so). Microsoft has encouraged
OEMs to beef up netbooks in order to run Windows on them, but it's
beginning to look like they are killing the upper segment of laptops
by blurring the distinction between laptops and netbooks. If consumers
can't quickly understand the value proposition of a $1000 machine
compared to a $300, they will choose the cheaper one and make do with
it. I'd be surprised though if a school went with these for small
kids.

thanks

Sean
(competitive landscape)