[Marketing] SoaS Strawberry release debrief - marketing

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Mon Jun 29 08:49:38 EDT 2009

Hi,

First the bad news. Walter and I will be at the Lilla Fredrick tomorrow at
11am and can't make the marketing meeting.

Things went amazingly well with the last press release.  I would have been
impressed if all 3 had resulted in this.

I am also getting worried that we aren't ready to make too big a splash
yet.  I think we should announce the nexcopy site and partnership for sure.
But I wonder if we should wait on GCompris + Activity portal.  I worry
teachers who use the backend will be disappointed.  Also I just wonder if we
want to dial it back a bit for a few months.

I also think we are coming close to a far more impressive content story.
EBooks are moving right along. Teachermate is very impressive set of
content.  Being able to write about all 3 together would be very solid.

I also think the Activity Portal is moving a great direction. People are
starting to make video's write down classroom ideas. We need to get these
into/linked to the Activity Portal in a nice way.  Being able to watch the
video embedded in the download page would be very cool.

The other side is of course everything always gets better and GCompris + AP
is already awesome!  But my gut is saying we should wait till its
overwhelmingly impressive or it will be a disappointment vs what they just
saw with Sugar Strawberry.

Just putting that out there to see whether it resonates with other people
I'm a long ways from sure.

+1 to working on getting into the education magazines in major langugages.
This seems like a longer term project of gettng a feature lenght article.
Might be something Caryl can help us with.

Thanks!
Caroline

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> as such) who came by the booth at LinuxTag - three of whom said they
> came to LinuxTag specifically to talk to us (!) and who have little
> technical expertise, in one case I booted Strawberry right on her
> laptop to show her how to do it - they are really, really interested
> in the idea of 1) recycling aged equipment sitting around or donated
> by students' parents 2) allowing kids to take their sticks home and
> show parents what they are doing in class.
>
> One teacher said she works with learning-impaired children and felt
> the simplicity and "gentleness" of the Sugar interface would be very
> helpful.
>
> The teachers were intrigued by the XO and the netbooks too and were
> all disappointed that XOs are not readily available. By the way,
> airport security was so intrigued by the little machines I almost
> missed my flight out as they looked at each one ("Can I have one for
> my kid?").
>
> The BBC covered us from the angle that we can run in unexpected
> places: old hardware, netbooks, Intel Classmates. True, that's a
> technical analysis, but teachers know about older equipment gathering
> dust.
>
> My personal hunch is that one well-written article in a major
> educator-targeted print publication will put us on the map overnight.
> With the caveat that such publications are country-specific, far more
> so than tech publications, so it may be more accurate to say that we
> should look at targetting one flagship publication for each widely
> spoken language in a shortlist: English, Spanish, French, German,
> Portugese?
>
> thanks
>
> Sean
>

> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM, David Farning<dfarning at sugarlabs.org>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Sean DALY<sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> these are good reflections I'll write up an in-depth debrief when I get
> home.
> >>
> >> but a launch cannot be limited to the marketing team, everyone has to
> >> pull together
> >>
> >> There are a number of things we tried for this release which
> >> multiplied our impact and whch we can use again.
> >>
> >> we are shifting perceptions, but in tech where the naysyers are. We
> >> are not reaching educators yet (at least not publicly, the press
> >> release went to ed depts & ministries worldwide)
> >
> > I was thinking about this in terms of something you said about not
> > doing a press release about SugarCamp Paris.
> >
> > I believe that you said something to the effect that no one care about
> > what we are doing.  What they care about is what we are accomplishing.
> >   You said it much eloquently, but that was the take way for me.
> >
> > It struck me that when viewed on a continuum,  the SoaS release is an
> > big accomplishment to tech leaning people but just a statement of what
> > we are doing to teachers.
> >
> > Sorry is this was obvious to everyone else.

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove