[Marketing] People who spread the news was Re: organizing an event

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jun 26 18:27:49 EDT 2009

2009/6/23 Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com>:
> I'm afraid I don't agree that we should copy/paste the Fedora program
> name & goals.
>
> I'm very interested in working with Fedora marketing (Mel was kind
> enough to put me in touch with Jack Aboutboul - thanks Mel), but their
> positioning, goals and situation are quite different from ours.
>
> "Facilitators" has lots of syllables so I'm not sure I like it (yet),
> but I like it much more than Ambassadors which inspires me to wear a
> cummerbund rather than roll up my sleeves :D
>
> Here are the Fedora Ambassadors goals:
>
>    *  Represent Fedora Project to the wider public
>    * Help spread the word about Fedora, Linux, and Open Source
>    * Be a point of contact for local community members and channel
> the feedback to Fedora Project
>    * Help recruit project contributors
>    * Think of creative ways for promoting Fedora in your region
>

> Here's my vision for what the Sugar Facilitators goals should be,
> inspired by the above:
>
>    * Represent Sugar Labs as the best K-6 learning platform available
> to teachers, parents, and funders
>    * Spread the word about computer-assisted learning and ebooks;
> share information about computer-assisted learning and ebooks, what
> educators are doing, what works and what doesn't
>    * Visit schools and demonstrate Sugar to Learners and teachers,
> channelling feedback to Sugar Labs
>    * Found Sugar Local Labs in their communities
>    * Assist with documentation and translations
>    * Help recruit Sugar Labs contributors and Local Labs participants
>    * Liaise with OLPC grassroots associations
>
> comments:
> * "the wider public" is too wide a target.
> * Education is, to me, a higher priority goal than evangelizing FOSS.
> Of course, I talk about FOSS when discussing Sugar; openness is a key
> to Sugar's success and it is a crucial differentiator from proprietary
> offerings. But I feel the context is more books versus laptops than
> proprietary systems versus FOSS.
> * Again, I really think we need to be in schools talking to teachers
> and letting kids touch Sugar and tell us what they like/don't like.
> * We need Local Labs to scale.
> * I have a mantra: Sugar's success is good for OLPC, OLPC's success is
> good for Sugar. Our credibility is derived from our enormous OLPC
> installed base, a position confirmed with the XO-1.5 refresh. Our
> challenge is to extend Sugar beyond OLPC, but it serves everyone if we
> work together including locally.

Sean,
I think we are basically on the same page. From my pov the goal is to
create a group which mutually helps each other promote and communicate
about Sugar in face-to-face situations.

Fred updated http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Ambassadors
but it could still use a bit of tweaking:)

As a starting point, I would tend to lean towards developers and
educators with a background in open source projects.

My main concern has to do with the participation and support funnels.
In general, teachers are not particularly experienced participating in
open source projects. As such, they have a tendency to view themselves
as sugar consumers rather than sugar co-producers.

The economics of open source development is slightly different than
traditional projects.  One difference is that while the cost of code
may be zero, the maintenance cost of that code is greater than zero.
Once a project accepts a code contribution, the project is responsible
for maintaining that code forever.  Whenever anything changes, which
touches that code, the code must be updated.

A similar dynamic exists with additional users.  New users have a
greater than zero cost to the project in term of support.  Ideally,
new users will contribute back enough that on average that will be a
net gain to the project.  In reality, user participation and
contribution depends on a number of factors including; barriers to
participation, time required to become a contributor....

As we continue the current grow stage, we should focus on identifying
and engaging users who are likely to become significant contributors
in relatively short time periods.  As our core participation rate
increases, we will be more able to support more users.

But first, we need to target the high value participants to support
the participants who will have a lower, or slower, contribution rates.

david