[Marketing] organizing an event

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 10:36:03 EDT 2009

I'm afraid I don't agree that we should copy/paste the Fedora program
name & goals.

I'm very interested in working with Fedora marketing (Mel was kind
enough to put me in touch with Jack Aboutboul - thanks Mel), but their
positioning, goals and situation are quite different from ours.

"Facilitators" has lots of syllables so I'm not sure I like it (yet),
but I like it much more than Ambassadors which inspires me to wear a
cummerbund rather than roll up my sleeves :D

Here are the Fedora Ambassadors goals:

    *  Represent Fedora Project to the wider public
    * Help spread the word about Fedora, Linux, and Open Source
    * Be a point of contact for local community members and channel
the feedback to Fedora Project
    * Help recruit project contributors
    * Think of creative ways for promoting Fedora in your region

Here's my vision for what the Sugar Facilitators goals should be,
inspired by the above:

    * Represent Sugar Labs as the best K-6 learning platform available
to teachers, parents, and funders
    * Spread the word about computer-assisted learning and ebooks;
share information about computer-assisted learning and ebooks, what
educators are doing, what works and what doesn't
    * Visit schools and demonstrate Sugar to Learners and teachers,
channelling feedback to Sugar Labs
    * Found Sugar Local Labs in their communities
    * Assist with documentation and translations
    * Help recruit Sugar Labs contributors and Local Labs participants
    * Liaise with OLPC grassroots associations

comments:
* "the wider public" is too wide a target.
* Education is, to me, a higher priority goal than evangelizing FOSS.
Of course, I talk about FOSS when discussing Sugar; openness is a key
to Sugar's success and it is a crucial differentiator from proprietary
offerings. But I feel the context is more books versus laptops than
proprietary systems versus FOSS.
* Again, I really think we need to be in schools talking to teachers
and letting kids touch Sugar and tell us what they like/don't like.
* We need Local Labs to scale.
* I have a mantra: Sugar's success is good for OLPC, OLPC's success is
good for Sugar. Our credibility is derived from our enormous OLPC
installed base, a position confirmed with the XO-1.5 refresh. Our
challenge is to extend Sugar beyond OLPC, but it serves everyone if we
work together including locally.

thanks

Sean