[Marketing] [IAEP] Wired article on OLPC

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 19:55:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Sean DALY<sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are in contact with the author about Sugar, he is interested in
> learning more.

I would like to participate in that conversation. I'm putting together
an FAQ for prospective users of XOs and Sugar (on XOs or other Linux
systems), and a set of demonstration math and science lessons based on
Turtle Art. Among other things.

Among the key questions from prospective purchasers in government is
what evidence we have for the effectiveness of the program. There is a
substantial literature on the question, too much for anyone to go
through. So we need to pull out the most important information and
make it accessible.

We have seen benefits in standard test scores, performance of
immigrant students still learning the local language, and students
with learning disabilities. We have seen major changes for the better
in educational culture, and in the wider community. We have also seen
badly designed programs make things worse. As a result, we can tell
educators a fair amount about what to do and also what not to do.

Of course, this is only the beginning.

> By the way I will very shortly be arranging beauty shots of the XO-1
> running Sugar on a Stick XO version with my photographer friend who
> shot the branded USB sticks
> (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/4/4f/SoaS_Strawberry_Poster.png), I
> think it could be helpful to have some fresh images of XOs available
>
> thanks
>
> Sean
>

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Seth Woodworth<seth at isforinsects.com> wrote:
>> The image isn't even an XO-1, it's a beta of some kind, look at the ears.
>> The have this image lying around as stock.
>>
>> This is really weird, a good friend of mine works at geekdad and I heard
>> nothing about this before hand.  The end of the article says: "Check back
>> next week for Part 2: the XO-1 Hardware Platform"  Maybe I can convince them
>> of a "...Part 3: Sugar"
>>
>> --Seth

>>> What amazes me is that very often what people say that it's special in
>>> the OLPC is the software, more than the hw. Pity most don't know about
>>> Sugar...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Tomeu

And Children are my nation.