[Marketing] organizing an event

John Tierney jtis4stx at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 22 16:09:21 EDT 2009

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:12:56 -0400
From: caroline at solutiongrove.com
To: dfarning at sugarlabs.org
CC: Marketing at lists.sugarlabs.org
Subject: Re: [Marketing] organizing an event

Goals look good: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors#Fedora_Ambassadors_Goals

Can we call it Sugar Facilitators?
+1

Re: [Marketing] Being An Ambassador‏

                    John Tierney (jtis4stx at hotmail.com)

        Sent:
        Mon 6/08/09 10:58 PM

        To:
        Mel Chua (mel at melchua.com)

        Cc:
        marketing at lists.sugarlabs.org

"Sugar Facilitators" Program-Creating the Path to

Learning has never been so Sweet!

"Sugar Facilitation Station"-One stop shop for Sugar Branding templates-Business

cards, stickers, balloons, banners, etc. with hook into cafepress and/or other t-shirt/

printable Sugar swag.

 JT

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Sean DALY<sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm confused, is the idea that "Ambassadors" try to recruit

> developers, and Sugar Labs contributors who talk to teachers be called

> something else?

> I vastly prefer "Facilitators", but that's because I don't share the

> view that it's a higher priority for us to reach out to FOSS

> developers than to reach out to teachers, and I daresay teachers need

> much more explaining of what Sugar is designed to do than developers

> will.

> I think we agree that Sugar needs teacher buy-in for its success. We

> need teachers challenging our concepts, offering their experience and

> intuition, and identifying barriers (technical and otherwise) to Sugar

> adoption.

> Of course we should be present at FOSS conventions. Of course we

> should communicate to developers our passion and ideals about

> bettering educational opportunity for millions of children.

> But, we're already good at that. What we're not good at yet is

> confronting our ideas with classroom realities. There is a vast amount

> of teacher savoir-faire out in the world about making learning happen

> with Sugar, but we can't access any of it since there is no feedback

> loop. I believe we should be better empowering teachers within Sugar

> itself, but I have no data yet to support that position without

> feedback.

> Actually, what I'd like is for Sugar Facilitators not just to go to

> conventions (although we certainly should). What I'd like is to start

> a tradition of visiting schools. You know, like the sales forces of

> publishers, service providers, systems integrators, computer

> manufacturers, and proprietary software firms do. We have an

> unbeatable sales pitch compared to the others: we have nothing to sell

> except ideas; we do this to improve education; we are looking for

> information, and here is Sugar on a Stick for you to try out.

> In my view, fact-finding trips to schools could just be the best way

> to quickly find technically adept teachers willing to share with us.

> And, if we are organized about our visit reporting, we could become

> much better at seeing what is going on in schools in a consolidated

> way; shifts from computer labs to 1:1 computing for example, or

> attitudes about the Internet, or things that work really well or not

> at all.

Please take a step back and look at the _goals_ of the Fedora

Ambassadors program as it applies to the overall goals of the Fedora

project.  Then think of how a similar project might be adapted to to

the overall goals of Sugar Labs.

david

>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team/Organizing_an_Event .

>>> I'll try to gather up the materials we have used in previous events so

>>> we can find them again next time.  Please fell free to add and correct

>>> as necessary.

>>> david

>>> Marketing mailing list

>>> Marketing at lists.sugarlabs.org