[Marketing] organizing an event

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jun 21 05:56:26 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 22:29, Caroline Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> hmm, how about a link to the facilitation wiki that Gunner showed us.:
> http://facilitation.aspirationtech.org/index.php/Agenda:Index
>
> Also, is it to late to not use the word Ambassadors. Its a power, fear and
> hierarchical filled metaphor that I think will feed into teachers existing
> feelings of alienation in regards to technology.

Maybe it's a cultural thing? I have always seen the ambassador concept
as being about someone who works on improving understanding between
groups of people. Though in the countries I have lived, the diplomatic
class is seen as a corrupt and secretive bunch.

At least I hope we don't end up using the title "Evangelist" like
Apple and others did ;)

Another obvious possibility is "promoter" but I guess that open source
projects use ambassadors itself to distance from looking like
commercial companies.

> I know we didn't come up with anything better.
>
> So my suggestion is "Sugar Facilitators"  teachers and schools use the word
> facilitation frequently, I think it will be more comfortable for them..

Sounds good to me, though I have only heard the term facilitator in
english. In some countries in Central America "facilitador" is used as
a synonym for teacher or instructor.

I guess one advantage of using the Ambassador term is that all
languages have a term that matches the same meaning, even if it has
different connotations. Terms more specialized as facilitators may
lack a single-word term in some languages.

Regards,

Tomeu