[Marketing] Mixing Free Software and Free + Proprietary content. A case study

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 18:03:32 EDT 2009

I personally am opposed to DRM. I feel the proper protection of
copyrighted works should be in copyright law, not technical measures.
In my experience, DRM doesn't slow down anyone technically competent
who wants the content, while driving ordinary users nuts and diverting
engineering and coordination resources better used on more important
work. If openness is impossible, unobtrusive watermarking, or an
advertising splash screen indicating the source, could be compromises
worth investigating.

I am fully cognizant of the importance of remunerating creators,
however there is much evidence to indicate that the traditional
position of publishers as middlemen is likely to shrink if not
disappear in the years to come.

There is a vast amount of freely available content and we are only at
the beginning of building Creative Commons licensed curricula supports
through communities. For my part I feel it would be better in the long
term to work towards that goal, rather than trying to implement
everybody and their cousin's DRM schemes, especially those with
significant overhead (server resources, Internet connectivity, logging
and reporting).

thanks

Sean.