[Marketing] Being An Ambassador

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Mon Jun 8 17:14:32 EDT 2009

I love the ambassador concept.

I hate the word ambassador.  Certainly do need people who can bridge from
the software to the teachers in schools and afterschool programs.  We
already have the bad digital native and digital immigrant metaphor which is
not helping us either serve the diverse youth population or empower the
teachers in using technology. Ambassador  is metaphor brings in hierarchy
and alieness and about adult high protocol and even intimidation.

 Can anyone think of something we can call Sugar "Ambassadors" that is
friendly, youthful and egalitarian and will put teachers into a mindset
where they believe that by trying, experimenting and especially playing,
they can learn to use Sugar and use it to help their kids learn.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com> wrote:

> Some of the folks here have already seen this, I'm pretty sure, but the
> start of Max Spevack's "How To Be A Fedora Ambassador 101" chat log is a
> good general "what good outreach people should do" intro.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Ambassador_Tips_(20090503_Classroom)<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Ambassador_Tips_%2820090503_Classroom%29>
>
> I get the sense that most of us may be spread a little thin now, but
> nudging this sort of thing further forward might be a good idea to aim
> for in the future (or if we have excited newcomers around looking for
> projects.)
>
> --Mel

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove