[Marketing] first mockup of a rollup banner for booths

Christian Marc Schmidt christianmarc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:42:35 EDT 2009

Comments inline:

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking better & better, thanks Gary!
>
> * size of "sugar" in title: I understood Eben to say that the font
> size should be adjusted so the absolute width of "sugar" matched
> "learning" and "platform" (this differs from Walter's suggestion to
> use the same point size). Of course, the VAG Rounded Light will be a
> little wider. For my part, I like the big "sugar" on the top.. banner
> visible over people's heads as they crowd around the booth looking at
> XOs and netbooks :D
>
> * If you can swap VAG Rounded Light in, please by all means do so (I
> can buy & transmit it in a few hours if need be but will be traveling
> tomorrow), one way or another I feel we will be using that for
> "official" marketing materials. (Christian will remember that an early
> draft of the first press release I did had all the text in MgOpen
> Modata and ultimately we stayed with Helvetica instead)

Yes, we should really be using VAG! For longer text paragraphs we
should use Helvetica (for legibility), but for headlines VAG whenever
possible.

VAG usually looks better with a little tracking (not too much, though)...

> * I prefer the ring centered like this; the other way felt top-heavy
> to me. I like that there are only two Activity icons above the ring.
> N.B. A vertical rollup booth banner is ideally placed beside/ in front
> of a booth, not in it or behind it and not behind a table...
>
> * Colors - much better bravo
>
> * Speak - yes better he needs to be looking at *something* in the banner :-)
>
> * The lower logo / URL. The recall of the title using color is I think
> visually strong in terms of branding. I think this is important.
>
> To my mind, a completely grey logo +.org is not the way to go, it
> won't be visible and as such, won't communicate the URL. It's also
> counter to the logo whose strength is in the fatness+color. If we
> can't do the "sugar" fattened & colored like it is in the logo, it
> would be much better to leave off the URL entirely and just leave the
> logo.
>
> But I think that would be a mistake, the goal of a booth banner (or
> other OOH, or TVC, none of which we have done yet so this is a new
> problem) is to make an impression when people are *not* in front of a
> computer and the "real" logo + ".org" will succeed on three counts:
>
> * branding
> * communicating we are community, not a company
> * retention of the URL
>
> If Sugar Labs owned all the TLD variants (.com / .net / .info) it
> would be less of an issue; but the dot com and the "lab" singular
> variants belong to squattters. We *are* well-referenced now, but only
> for "sugar labs" (20 out of top 20 Google), much less so for "sugar"
> by itself (4 out of top 20). "sugar olpc" references OLPC.
>
> I could see the point if we had prefaced the logo'd URL with "www.",
> but I propose an exception without "www." precisely because a shorter
> URL will be easier to remember and is closer to the URL-free logo.
>
> Why don't we just put ".org" in a lighter grey? We keep an URL and the
> logo's core is preserved

I see your point. Not sure about the lighter gray. The only other
solution that comes to mind is to separate the URL from the logo,
which I agree will feel a little repetitive in this layout. So, for
now I can let this one go--let's run with the version Gary showed
last. ;)

But in the long run I do think this is an issue that needs more
exploration, because of how the .org interfaces with other suffixes
that we started exploring much earlier. We may indeed end up using
.org in this way--let's just keep an open mind on the issue until the
logo system has been explored more fully.

anything at christianmarcschmidt.com

http://www.christianmarcschmidt.com

917/ 575 0013