[Marketing] first mockup of a rollup banner for booths

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Jun 3 11:02:27 EDT 2009

Hi All,

OK, heaps of changes (try to snip each out below), some of you win,
some of you loose (this round) ;-)

On 3 Jun 2009, at 11:55, Sean DALY wrote:

> * Walter had mentioned it might be better for the "sugar" in the title
> to be the same font size as "learning platform", I'm inclined to agree
> but would need to look at that to be sure...

Fonts are the same MgOpen Modata for now, will swap out with VAG when
someone says.

> This would allow us to raise the ring a bit, ideally to
> the center of the banner; the title won't look top-heavy if the ring
> is centered vertically

Ring is raised close to centre in this one, maybe too high now?
Depends I guess if this drops to the floor and you have a booth or
table/chairs in the way. Bounce with Eben about how high it should
be ;-)

> * Sugar Labs + URL logo: taking into account Eben and Christian's
> comments, I do think the "sugar" in that line should be the same color
> as on top...

This version has SL logo with .org, I'm staying out of this fight, but
at least you can see both treatments now.

> * I agree with Fred, we have a bit too much blue in our avatars, Speak
> icon, Browse icon in the center... is it difficult to change those
> colors?

Sean, I've massively altered the colours as per the original PDF, this
was part in line with Walters comment on the XO colour not being Sugar
interface compliant, and choosing stronger variants from the various
documents/files and Frederick's examples. I think they now all come
from points in the much more finite UI set  of XO colours (except for
the Browse Activity icon which I've kept matching the Suagr logo blues
as per Eben's call).

> * The TurtleArt icon could have a peppier fill color maybe?

Changed.

> * Speak: could he be off to the left, looking longingly at the banner
> title? Will direct passersby's gazes to the title ;-)

Lots of movement (due to trying to centre the ring). Gaze is more to
the right so hard to look up at banner title, I've tried to place to
Speak is looking to the ring of XOs.

On 3 Jun 2009, at 14:51, Eben Eliason wrote:

> I think that it might work better to size "Sugar" relative to
> "learning platform" so that the lines are justified. Right now, the
> slight difference in line width makes it feel slightly off, and not
> quite intentional.

My centre alignment was off in the previous version, any better for
you with this one?

> Incidentally, I much prefer the ring to be below
> center, vertically, and would argue that this actually helps with the
> visual balance since the Sugar logo and the ring are the areas of bold
> color and weight.

It is close to centre in v2 so you may not like. Likely compromise
between the two?

> I'd recommend keeping the colors of the Browse icon in the center. It
> was a conscious decision to make this match the Sugar logo on my part,
> because I think it helps guide one's eye down through the focal points
> of the banner.

Yep, I like that choice... even though it's a bit of a colour cheat,
and the XO that shared it must have left the collaboration after the
others joined ;-) I've matched the Browse icon with the logo again.

> Removing this color from the Speak icon is probably the way to go.

Colour changed.

> I think the space is starting too look a bit cluttered with all the
> activity icons. Could we drop one or two of them?

Possibly. Someone needs to make a final call.

> I think the biggest
> issue for me is that, due to the limited space, these icons
> approximate a ring, creating a concentric effect, which is the
> opposite of what we want. It should convey a portion of a plane strewn
> with activities, and ironically I found fewer activities to convey
> that more effectively. Perhaps some rearrangement could also mitigate
> the double-ring effect.

Lot's of movement, for better or worse, likely the ring centre shift
is going to be the first call someone needs to make.

> Also, there seems to have been some corruption of the memorize icon.
> It looks like a solid block instead of individual tiles.

Funny, I thought exactly the same when I saw the old mock-ups :-) The
Memorise Activity and it's SVG icon are definitely as now being shown
– so it the corruption in the current official release, or our mock-
ups ;-b

On 3 Jun 2009, at 14:54, Christian Marc Schmidt wrote:

> Let me chime in here--I really don't think we should start using the
> logo with the ".org" suffix, it begins to undermine the logo and it
> wasn't intended to be used that way. Isn't there another possibility?

Understood, personally I'm not offended either way. From a technical
point, the only problem with the latest mock-up is that I had to do
the .org in MgOpen Modata so it's not quite a match (not a problem
with v1 as the whole grey sugarlabs.org was all MgOpen Modata).

Regards,
--Gary