[Marketing] first mockup of a rollup banner for booths

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 06:55:13 EDT 2009

Gary -

I've had the time to digest this, this is really coming along, I love
your Activity icon choices, I think the title does look good centered
too. May I make the following suggestions?

* Walter had mentioned it might be better for the "sugar" in the title
to be the same font size as "learning platform", I'm inclined to agree
but would need to look at that to be sure... I'm afraid I haven't had
the time to try that directly (I don't have the VAG Rounded Light font
yet, I used an online font tester
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=201617 and copy/pasted
each word). This would allow us to raise the ring a bit, ideally to
the center of the banner; the title won't look top-heavy if the ring
is centered vertically

* Sugar Labs + URL logo: taking into account Eben and Christian's
comments, I do think the "sugar" in that line should be the same color
as on top... in our branding, the "sugar" is always the "special"
part. I myself feel very confident in adding ".org" to the logo for
marketing materials, because 1) the logo part is unchanged, lessening
the impact of the ".org", 2) we don't have the ".com" (appears to be
squatted by Warm Systems a Norwegian company), so we need to
communicate our URL, 3) I leave off the "www.", making an exception to
the "www.sugarlabs.org" rule we use in marketing/press materials; so
as not to fight the logo - a URL needs to be as short as possible on
"ephemeral" media such as TVC, or a banner someone will walk past -
comparable to out-of-home adverts. Examples of this practice are
common in TVC, I have attached one, one of the final frames of a Nivea
TVC from France, note that the typography in the URL matches the logo
and their use of lowercase "www." and ".fr" to avoid fighting the
logo. Note the logo font used in "NOUVEAU" too. Although the double
appearance of their logo (reinforced by the NOUVEAU overlay) is
"redundant", this redundancy is very effective in branding.

* I agree with Fred, we have a bit too much blue in our avatars, Speak
icon, Browse icon in the center... is it difficult to change those
colors?

* The TurtleArt icon could have a peppier fill color maybe?

* Speak: could he be off to the left, looking longingly at the banner
title? Will direct passersby's gazes to the title ;-)

Let me know how I can help you... standing by to download and transmit
the font(s)

Sean