[Marketing] google grants

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 09:10:38 EDT 2009

Hi Christian - my apologies for the delay in responding I've been
occupied with the boot animation issue

I like that you start by segmenting targets!

I agree that Learners are off the radar for now.

Caroline makes a good point... tech-skilled teachers will be our best
"ambassadors" to spread Sugar... they will be able to solve the minor
technical problems which would be blocking for an unsophisticated user
(such as: seeting BIOS to boot from USB, configuring wireless network
access, ...)

Teachers will also potentially help us the most with classroom testing
(we need lots of feedback for sure).

Gary make a good point... a Google ad is a miniature call to action
and a short phrase has to excite curiosity. We can generate traffic by
playing to our strengths:

* large installed base
* nonprofit / humanitarian aspect
* "best-of-breed" platform for small kids
* free (as in beer)

Finding a catchy phrase is tough... but it's a similar problem to
choosing the subject of opt-in e-mail marketing... the goal is not to
sell or persuade, but generate the click... the sales points
("argumentaire") comes after the click is made.

Perhaps phrases like:
"Teachers: Help Us Reach Our Next Million Kids"
"Sugar, the award-winning K-8 platform in 43 countries"
"We can educate another million children with your help"
"The best learning platform for kids is free"
"Cash-strapped classroom? Run Sugar on that old PC"

(these are off the top of my head by the way, the ones we finally pick
will be better I think :-)

We *can* qualify for the US $40K amount, but only if we regularly
surpass the US $10K amount we start out with (that is, if Google
accepts our application). So our first goal is to get accepted; next,
we need to work on reaching $10K per month bids.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't purchased Google adwords before,
so Christian I'm counting on you to learn for us and meet that
challenge :-)

thanks

Sean