[Marketing] I've fallen, and I can't get up (was: Re: [Sugar-devel] press release opportunity...)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Jul 30 15:21:03 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 09:43:50AM -0400, Caroline Meeks wrote:
> As I noted in the wiki page about this:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/TODO#Sticks_are_dieing_a_lot_-_Make_sticks_more_robust
> 2GB Sticks are $0.60 more then 1GB sticks.
>
> If
> it improves reliability its definitely worth it from a sheer TCO point of view.
>
> A full install also makes it possible to browse the files from other
> operating systems and allows the possiblity of a VM boot helper.

Please stop this hand-waving and tell us what the problems are, or
give us the means to find out.

I almost deleted this whole discussion, as I have others on this
subject, but I think it might be useful to say: this whole thread is
misguided.  We don't know the problems in any detail, yet we've
decided to call into question the method of creating livecd sticks.
It's completely non-productive - so much so that I can't think of how
to concisely explain it without resorting to analogy: it's like seeing
someone fall down and deciding that we might need to re-design the
laws of gravity.

What's needed is more information about the problems, as was promised
by someone who had the broken USB sticks in their possession.

Please, no more hand-waving until someone knows what the problem is.
Otherwise we're going to teach the subscribers of this list that they
can ignore problem reports from the field because they never contain
actionable information.

Please stop this hand-waving and tell us what the problems are, or
give us the means to find out.

Martin